coarsely minced wagyu beef chuck (see note)
brioche burger buns, halved and toasted
baby cos lettuce leaves
vine-ripened tomato, sliced
extra-virgin olive oil
Red onion pickle
(3 cups) rice wine vinegar
dried long red chillies
fresh bay leaves
Spanish onions, sliced into 3mm-thick rounds
zucchini, thinly sliced lengthways
onion, quartered, thinly sliced lengthways
(2 cups) cider vinegar
1 tsp each
brown mustard seeds, mustard powder and ground turmeric
Tomato and chilli relish
onion, finely chopped
red capsicum, finely chopped
(¼ cup) olive oil
garlic cloves, chopped
small knob ginger, finely chopped
vine-ripened tomatoes, peeled, seeds removed, chopped
(½ cup) caster sugar
of 1½ lemons
birdseye chillies, finely chopped
- For red onion pickle, combine all of the ingredients, except for the onion, in a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside to infuse for 1 hour. Return to the stove and bring back to the boil. Transfer to a 2-litre sterilised jar and refrigerate until completely chilled. Meanwhile, blanch the onion (20 seconds). Remove the onion and refrigerate until chilled. When onion is chilled, repeat the whole process again. This process will ensure a crunchy pickle. Add the onion to the brine, seal the jar with the lid and refrigerate. Red onion pickle will keep unopened for 3 months. Makes about 500gm.
- For zucchini pickle, place the zucchini and onion in a bowl, sprinkle with salt, cover with iced water and set aside for 1 hour. Combine the remaining ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat, bring to the boil and cook for
3 minutes, then cool. Transfer to a 2-litre sterilised jar and refrigerate until chilled. Drain the zucchini and onion and add to the brine. Seal the jar with the lid and refrigerate overnight. Zucchini pickle will keep unopened for
3 months. Makes about 500gm.
- For tomato and chilli relish, combine the onion, capsicum, olive oil, garlic, ginger and salt in a large saucepan over medium heat and cook until syrupy (15-20 minutes). Add the remaining ingredients and simmer, stirring occasionally, until reduced to a jam-like consistency (1½-2 hours). Remove from the heat and cool. Spoon into sterilised jars. Tomato and chilli relish will refrigerated for a week. Makes 600ml.
- Knead the mince with your hands until it becomes sticky and the meat binds together. Form into 4 patties. Heat a barbecue or char-grill pan to high heat. Cook the patties, turning once, until medium-rare.
- Meanwhile, heat the grill to hot and grill the bacon until crisp.
- Top each patty with cheese, then the bacon, and cook on the barbecue until the cheese has softened.
- Place each patty on a bun base, top with some relish and pickles and sandwich with the bun tops. Serve with the lettuce and tomato on the side, drizzled with olive oil and seasoned to taste.
"Making one of the world's great burgers was my mission at Bar
& Grill," says Perry. "Lofty statement, I know. But I think I
might have pulled it off. When you partner great meat with other
great ingredients, you're halfway to the best burger. Those other
great ingredients I'm talking about are Judy Rodgers' pickles. I
was inspired by her great burger at Zuni Café in San