Asia's 50 best restaurants for 2016 were revealed in a ceremony in Bangkok last night, with two Australian-run restaurants listed in the top 10. Australia's David Thompson, who recently opened Long Chim in Perth, accepted a lifetime achievement award.
Thompson's Bangkok restaurant, Nahm, which claimed the top spot in 2014, clocked in at number eight this year. Tetsuya Wakuda's restaurant, Waku Ghin, located inside the Marina Bay Sands casino next door to Thompson's Singapore branch of Long Chim, placed at number six. In the top spot this year is El Bulli-trained chef Gaggan Anand for his eponymous modern-Indian restaurant in Bangkok.
This year's top 50 hail from 13 locations in Asia (Australia is not included in this region) including Japan, Singapore, China, India, Sri Lanka and Korea.
Asia's Top 50 Restaurants 2016:
1. Gaggan - Bangkok, Thailand | Best Restaurant in Thailand by S.Pellegrino and Acqua Panna and Best Restaurant in Asia
2. Narisawa - Tokyo, Japan | Best Restaurant in Japan by S.Pellegrino and Acqua Panna
3. Restaurant André - Singapore | Best Restaurant in Singapore by S.Pellegrino and Acqua Panna
4. Amber - Hong Kong, China | Best Restaurant in China by S.Pellegrino and Acqua Panna
5. Nihonryori Ryugin - Tokyo, Japan
6. Waku Ghin - Singapore
7. Ultraviolet by Paul Pairet - Shanghai, China
8. Nahm - Bangkok, Thailand
9. Indian Accent - New Delhi, India | Best Restaurant in India by S.Pellegrino and Acqua Panna
10. Lung King Heen - Hong Kong, China
11. Hajime - Osaka, Japan
12. Les Amis - Singapore
13. 8 1/2 Otto e Mezzo Bombana - Hong Kong, China
14. Burnt Ends - Singapore
15. Mingles - Seoul, Korea | Best Restaurants in Korea
16. L'Effervescence - Tokyo, Japan
17. Corner House - Singapore
18. Fu He Hui - Shanghai, China
19. Issaya Siamese Club - Bangkok, Thailand
20. Quintessence - Tokyo, Japan | Highest Climber
21. Shinji by Kanesaka - Singapore
22. Jungsik - Seoul, Korea
23. Eat Me - Bangkok, Thailand
24. Takazawa - Tokyo, Japan
25. Ministry of Crab - Colombo, Sri Lanka | Best Restaurant in Sri Lanka
26. Sushi Saito - Tokyo, Japan
27. The Chairman - Hong Kong, China
28. Mr and Mrs Bund - Shanghai, China
29. Jaan - Singapore
30. Le Moût - Taichung, Taiwan | Best Restaurant in Taiwan
31. Tippling Club - Singapore and La Maison de la Nature Goh - Fukuoka, Japan
33. Tenku Ryugin - Hong Kong, China
34. Fook Lam Moon - Hong Kong, China
35. Robuchon au Dôme - Macau, China
36. Iggy's - Singapore
37. Den - Tokyo, Japan
38. Wild Rocket - Singapore
39. Gallery Vask - Manila, Philippines | Best Restaurant in the Philippines
40. L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon - Hong Kong, China
41. Bo Innovation - Hong Kong, China
42. Konnichiwa - Tokyo, Japan
43. Cuisine Wat Damnak - Siem Reap, Cambodia
44. Wasabi by Morimoto - Mumbai, India
45. Bukhara - New Delhi, India
46. Ra W - Taipei, Taiwan
47. Nihonbashi - Colombo, Sri Lanka
48. Ta Vie - Hong Kong, China
49. Locavore - Bali, Indonesia
50. La Yeon - Seoul, South Korea
Sign up to receive the latest food, travel and dining news direct from Gourmet Traveller headquarters.
There are a lot of food shots on Instagram: the good, the ba...
We asked Australia's leading chefs to name the restaurants t...
The world is getting hotter and we’re not talking about glob...
On the eve of the second outing of one of the world’s strang...
The 2014 50 Best Restaurants in Asia were unveiled this week...
With its complexity in flavour and texture, seaweed is the c...
Tell us about Tomahawk’s menu, Ali...
A mighty fine plate of beef short ribs with roast celery vin...
Farm-to-table is a neat catchcry but, argues Dan Barber, one...
You’ve just released your first cookbook, a tribute to Lomba...
Here's the list of our 2016 Restaurant Guide Top 100. How ma...
Rene Redzepi may be headed to Sydney next month, but he's ba...
Sydney’s new wine bar is going back to basics.
Music is a key ingredient that can turn your party from good...
Pat Nourse talks to the chef of Chicago’s Alinea ahead of hi...