To mark our 50th anniversary, we collaborated with Patrón Tequila and Neil Perry to create a Mexican-themed birthday feast.
- 5 ancho chillies, wiped clean, stems removed, slit open and seeded
- ¼ cup orange juice (60ml)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp ground cumin
- 12 small lamb cutlets
- 2 limes, quartered
- 1Toast the chillies in a heavy-based frying pan over medium-low heat, turning and pressing them down frequently, until fragrant and blistered. Place chillies in a bowl, cover with cold water and soak until softened (about 30 minutes), then drain.
- 2Place all the ingredients except the cutlets and limes in a blender with ½ cup of fresh water and ½ tsp sea salt, and process until smooth, adding a little more water if necessary to form a smooth purée.
- 3In a bowl, coat the cutlets with the marinade and stand for 1 hour. Grill over charcoal or in a hot heavy-based pan until browned and cooked to your liking (about 2 minutes each side for medium rare), rest for 5 minutes, then pile on a platter and serve seasoned with a squeeze of lime juice.