Agrumi is Italian for citrus fruits, and this semifreddo is fragrant with lemon and orange rind.
- 700 ml milk
- 425 ml pouring cream
- 9 egg yolks
- 180 gm caster sugar
- Finely grated rind of 2 lemons and 1 orange
- 425 ml thickened cream
Candied lemon and orange
- 1 each orange and lemon, thinly sliced
- 330 gm caster sugar (1½ cups)
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- 1For candied lemon and orange, blanch citrus slices three times, changing water each time. Drain well. Meanwhile, bring sugar and 375ml water to the boil in a wide saucepan. Add citrus slices and cook over low heat until translucent (45 minutes-1 hour). Add juice, transfer to a non-reactive container and cool.
- 2Bring milk and pouring cream just to the boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.Meanwhile, whisk yolks and sugar in a bowl until pale. Pour milk mixture over yolks then return to pan, stirring over low heat until thick (5-10 minutes). Cool over ice, add lemon and orange rinds, churn in an ice-cream machine until semi-frozen.
- 3Meanwhile, whisk thickened cream to soft peaks, then fold through semi-frozen mixture. Transfer to a 2-litre rectangular tin lined with plastic wrap, freeze until firm (2-4 hours). Dip in hot water to remove semifreddo, slice and serve with candied lemon and orange.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesBeef koftas with green couscous and pistachio nutsYesterday 12:00am