- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 egg yolk
- 125 ml (½ cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, or to taste
- 1Thickly slice garlic and combine in a mortar with 2 tsp sea salt.
- 2Pound garlic and salt with a pestle to a fine paste (2-3 minutes).
- 3Add egg yolk, stirring with pestle to combine.
- 4Starting with one drop at a time, then in a thin steady stream, add olive oil, stirring constantly with pestle, until thick and combined. Season to taste with lemon juice and freshly ground black pepper.
Note This recipe makes 150 ml.
Alioli variations For saffron alioli, soak a pinch of saffron threads in the lemon juice, standing for a minute to infuse before adding to alioli. For smoked-paprika alioli, add 2 tsp smoked paprika to garlic and salt before pounding.