These light and airy lemon and almond biscuits have a lovely crunchy exterior with a soft, chewy inside.
- 320 gm whole blanched almonds
- 3 eggwhites, at room temperature
- 220 gm (1 cup) caster sugar
- ½ a lemon, finely grated rind only
- ½ tsp cornflour
- To decorate: whole natural almonds
- 1Preheat oven to 150C. Spread blanched almonds on an oven tray, toast until golden and fragrant (6-8 minutes). Cool, finely grind in a food processor, set aside.
- 2Whisk eggwhites in an electric mixer until soft peaks form, gradually add sugar, whisking continuously to incorporate, until all sugar is added and meringue is smooth and glossy (3-5 minutes). Fold in lemon rind, toasted almonds and cornflour.
- 3Increase oven to 180C. Shape mixture with a teaspoon into 3cm mounds, place on a baking tray lined with baking paper, add a natural almond in the centre of each and bake in batches until puffed and starting to crack (8-10 minutes), then cool on tray. Almendrados will keep, stored in an airtight container, for about a week.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCasarecce with pork sausage, cavolo nero and chilliYesterday 6:00am