- 30 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1½ onions, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tsp thyme
- 5 anchovy fillets in oil, drained
- 2 375gm sheets butter puff pastry (see note)
- For dusting: plain flour
- To serve: thinly sliced bresaola
- 250 gm pitted Kalamata olives
- 80 ml olive oil (1/3 cup)
- 20 gm salted capers, rinsed
- ½ cup (firmly packed) flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves
- 3 anchovy fillets in oil, drained
- 2 garlic cloves
- Finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 1Heat butter and oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion, garlic and thyme and stir occasionally until caramelised (15-20 minutes). Add anchovies, stir until dissolved, season to taste and set aside to cool.
- 2Place a sheet of pastry on a lightly floured surface and spread evenly with onion mixture, leaving a 1cm border. Place remaining pastry on top, dust lightly with flour and roll out to 1cm thick. Refrigerate until firm, trim edges, cut into 3cm strips, then cut each strip into 3cm diamonds. Place on oven trays lined with baking paper, cover with baking paper and refrigerate until firm. Preheat oven to 220C. Place another oven tray on top of pastries, bake until golden (5-6 minutes), remove tray and top layer of baking paper, turn pastries, replace baking paper and tray and bake until golden and crisp (1-2 minutes). Cool slightly on trays, trim edges (optional), then cool completely. Pastries will keep in an airtight container for 5 days. They can be refreshed in a hot oven for 5 minutes if necessary.
- 3For tapenade, pulse ingredients in a food processor until coarsely chopped, season to taste and refrigerate until required. Bring to room temperature before using. Makes about 1½ cups.
- 4Serve anchovy and onion pastries topped with bresaola and tapenade.
Note We prefer to use Carême puff pastry, which comes in 375gm sheets. If it's unavailable, substitute another good-quality butter puff pastry.