- 300 gm small green lentils
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 inner stalks of celery with leaves, stalks thinly sliced, leaves reserved
- 1 Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 3 vine-ripened tomatoes, halved and thinly sliced
- 10 Ortiz anchovy fillets (see note)
- 10 boquerones (see note)
- To serve: crusty bread
- 125 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 60 ml aged sherry vinegar (see note) (¼ cup)
- 1Rinse lentils in cold water, drain, place in a saucepan and cover with water, add bay leaves and garlic and bring to the boil over medium heat, simmer for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse briefly in cold water, discard bay leaves, then transfer lentils and garlic to a serving dish. Cool, then add celery stalks and onion and combine well.
- 2For dressing, combine olive oil and sherry vinegar in a bowl, season generously with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and whisk to combine.
- 3To serve, pour half the dressing over lentils and combine well. Arrange tomatoes on top of lentils, top with anchovies and boquerones, drizzle with remaining dressing and scatter with celery leaves. Serve immediately with some crusty bread.
Note Ortiz anchovies, boquerones (marinated anchovies) and aged sherry vinegar are available at Simon Johnson, David Jones and select delicatessens.
Drink Suggestion: Young tempranillo, lightly chilled. Drink suggestion by Andy Harris