These grilled beef skewers originated in Peru but are also popular in Bolivia. They're typically made with ox heart but other cuts of beef such as skirt steak work well, too. Ox heart needs to be ordered ahead from your butcher, who can also trim off the arteries for you.
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 ox heart, trimmed of fat and sinew, or 1 large skirt steak, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp aged red wine vinegar
Chilli peanut sauce
- 10 long red chillies
- 2 Roma tomatoes
- 100 gm roasted unsalted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped coriander
- 2 tbsp mild-flavoured extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp lime juice, or to taste
- 1Dry-roast cumin seeds until fragrant (1 minute; see cook’s notes p185). Cool briefly and coarsely crush with a mortar and pestle. Transfer to a bowl along with beef, garlic, oil and vinegar, toss to combine and refrigerate to marinate (at least a few hours or preferably overnight).
- 2Thread beef pieces onto skewers, then set aside on a tray, cover, and refrigerate until ready to cook.
- 3Meanwhile, for chilli peanut sauce, grill chillies and tomatoes on a wire rack over a gas flame, turning occasionally, until blackened (2-3 minutes; this can also be done on a barbecue or in the oven). Transfer to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and leave to steam for 5-10 minutes. Peel chillies and tomatoes, and remove seeds from chillies. Coarsely chop tomatoes and chillies, then pulse in a food processor with peanuts until processed to a coarse paste. Season to taste, stir in coriander, oil and lime juice and transfer to a bowl.
- 4Bring a charcoal grill or barbecue to high heat and grill skewers in batches, turning occasionally, until charred and just cooked (3-5 minutes). Transfer to a platter, sprinkle with sea salt and serve with chilli peanut sauce.
Drink Suggestion: Dark red tannat. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCasarecce with pork sausage, cavolo nero and chilliYesterday 6:00am