I've made these the size of regular biscuits, but they're also very good made larger. For a crisper biscuit, meanwhile, flatten the balls of dough on the tray before baking.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup coconut chips
- 1 cup wholemeal flour
- ½ cup demerara sugar
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 tsp bicarbobonate of soda
- ½ cup melted unsalted butter (about 125gm)
- 1Preheat the oven to 150°C (fan off).
- 2Combine oats, coconut, flour and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- 3Mix golden syrup, bicarb and 2 tbsp boiling water in a bowl, stir until the mixture is foaming, then stir in melted butter.
- 4Stir the syrup and butter mixture into the dry ingredients, and mix well (your hands are good for this). Taste, and add a pinch of salt if it needs it.
- 5Place spoonfuls of the mixture on lightly floured trays, leaving plenty of room for them to spread.
- 6Bake until they're dark golden, starting to check around the 10-minute mark.
- 7Allow biscuits to cool on the trays (they're soft when they're hot).
- 8Biscuits will keep for up to a week in an airtight container.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsThe best places to visit in Queenstown, New ZealandYesterday 2:30am