Everyone loves a sticky bun, especially filled with apples and sour cream. Brush these little beauties with the syrup while they're still warm - all the better to soak it up. They're best eaten fresh from the oven, but if there happens to be a couple left over the next day, warm them up a little before serving. Start this recipe a day ahead to prove the dough.
- 330 gm plain flour
- 150 gm caster sugar
- 1¼ tsp dried yeast
- 1 egg and 1 egg yolk, beaten together
- 100 gm sour cream, at room temperature
- 100 gm softened butter
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- 3 cardamom pods, bruised
Apple, sour cream and almond filling
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and diced
- 40 gm dried apple, diced
- 30 gm almonds, coarsely chopped
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- 80 gm brown sugar
- 1½ tbsp plain flour
- 150 gm sour cream
- 1Combine flour, 50gm sugar, yeast, lemon rind and ½ tsp salt in an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook, add beaten egg, sour cream and 50ml lukewarm water, and knead until dough forms. Add butter a little at a time and knead until dough is elastic, smooth and shiny (2-3 minutes). Transfer to a buttered bowl, cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight to rest.
- 2For apple, sour cream and almond filling, combine apple, dried apple, almonds, juice, cardamom, 60gm sugar and 1 tbsp flour in a bowl. Combine sour cream, remaining sugar and remaining flour in a separate bowl.
- 3Butter and flour eight 250ml dariole moulds and place on a baking tray. Roll out dough on a floured surface to a 25cm x 35cm rectangle. Spread with sour cream mixture, leaving a 1cm border, and brush edges with water. Scatter three-quarters of the apple mixture over sour cream, then roll into a cylinder from longest side, press along edge to seal and trim ends by about 1cm. Cut cylinder into 8 even pieces and place cut-side up in prepared moulds. Cover loosely with a damp tea towel and stand to prove (1¼-1½ hours). Preheat oven to 180C, scatter remaining apple mixture on tops of scrolls and bake on middle shelf until golden brown and cooked through (30-35 minutes; cover with foil if tops start to brown too quickly).
- 4Meanwhile, combine juices, vanilla bean and seeds, cardamom, remaining sugar and 150ml water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat and stir until sugar dissolves, then bring to the boil and cook until a light syrup forms (4-5 minutes). Brush generously over warm scrolls and serve.