To the classic combination of apple, blue cheese and hazelnuts we've added celery and celeriac for an extra-crunchy salad that makes a great light lunch or a side dish for grilled steak or chicken. If you can't find Roquefort, substitute another blue cheese that's not too creamy and has a bit of bite.
- 150 gm Roquefort, crumbled
- 2 cups (loosely packed) watercress tips
- 250 gm peeled celeriac (about ½ celeriac), cut into julienne
- 1 celery heart, thinly sliced on a mandolin, leaves reserved to serve
- 1 small pink lady apple, unpeeled, cored and cut into julienne
Roasted hazelnut-raisin dressing
- 60 gm hazelnuts
- 125 ml mild-flavoured extra-virgin olive oil (½ cup)
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar, or to taste
- 2 tbsp coarsely chopped raisins, soaked in
- 2 tbsp sweet sherry
- 2 golden shallots, finely chopped
- 1 tsp hazelnut oil
- 1For roasted hazelnut-raisin dressing, preheat oven to 180C and roast hazelnuts on an oven tray until golden (6-8 minutes), then, while still warm, place hazelnuts in a clean tea towel and rub the skins off. Coarsely chop hazelnuts and set aside to cool (20 minutes). Whisk together remaining ingredients, then stir in the hazelnuts and season to taste.
- 2Toss remaining ingredients gently in a large bowl, add dressing to taste, toss to coat and combine, season to taste and serve.
Drink suggestion by Max Allen