- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 jumbo quail, butterflied
- 2 red sensation pears, thinly sliced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 radicchio, leaves separated and coarsely torn
- 60 gm walnuts, roasted and coarsely chopped
- To serve: oregano leaves
- 50 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp walnut oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 golden shallot, finely chopped
- 1For red wine dressing, combine ingredients in a bowl, season to taste, whisk to combine.
- 2Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Season quail to taste and cook, skin-side down, until browned (2-3 minutes), then turn and cook until cooked medium (2-3 minutes) and set aside. When cool enough to handle, coarsely shred meat.
- 3Combine pear and lemon juice in a bowl, toss to coat. Add radicchio, walnuts, shredded quail and oregano, drizzle with red wine dressing, toss to coat. Season to taste and serve, drizzled with extra dressing.
ALSO IN SEASONFRUIT
Bananas, cumquats, custard apples, figs, Granny Smith apples, imperial mandarins, kiwifruit, passionfruit, pomegranates, quince, rhubarb.
VEGETABLES Beans, beetroot, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, carrots, garlic, ginger, leeks, okra, parsnips, pumpkins, peas, swedes, turnips.
SEAFOOD Blue swimmer crabs, king prawns, mud crabs, ocean jacket, sea mullet, southern garfish, tiger flathead, western rock lobsters.This recipe is from the April 2010 issue of .