- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 leek, white part only, thinly sliced
- ½ white onion, finely chopped
- 3 young garlic bulbs (see note), thinly sliced
- 1 litre chicken stock (4 cups)
- 7 globe artichokes, trimmed, chokes removed, placed in acidulated water
- 250 gm frozen peas, defrosted
- 100 gm crème fraîche
- For shallow-flying: vegetable oil
- 240 gm log of goat’s curd, cut into 12 rounds
- For dusting: plain flour
- For coating: eggwash
- 100 gm dried fine white breadcrumbs
- To serve: radish cress
- 1Heat olive oil in a casserole or large saucepan over medium heat. Add leek, onion and garlic and stir occasionally until tender (5-7 minutes). Add stock and bring to the simmer. Drain artichokes, add to pan and simmer until very tender (20-25 minutes). Add peas and simmer until bright green (1-2 minutes). Purée with a hand-held blender until smooth, stir in crème fraîche, season to taste and keep warm.
- 2Heat 1cm vegetable oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Dust goat’s curd in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs, shaking off excess. Shallow-fry, turning once, until golden and crisp (2-3 minutes; be careful, hot oil will spit). Drain on absorbent paper and serve hot with soup scattered with radish cress.
Note Young garlic is available from select greengrocers.