- 3 globe artichokes
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 1 celery heart, shaved
- 8 Sicilian green olives, cracked, pitted
- 60 ml (¼ cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- 50 gm pecorino pepato, shaved
- To serve: lamb’s lettuce (see note)
- 1Trim tops of artichokes by 2cm with a serrated knife, remove outer leaves with your fingers until you reach the pale inner heart (discard leaves). Trim stems to 1cm and peel green exterior until you reach pale inner flesh. Peel outside of stem with a vegetable peeler to smooth, remove remaining green fibres, then remove inner hairy choke from heart with a melon-baller. Place lemon juice in a bowl, then shave artichoke into bowl on a mandolin. Toss to combine, stand for 10 minutes, drain.
- 2Add celery, olives and olive oil to artichoke, toss to combine, season to taste and serve scattered with pecorino and lamb’s lettuce.
Note Lamb's lettuce is available from select greengrocers. If unavailable, substitute another delicate green leaf.
Drink Suggestion: Cold lager. Drink suggestion by Max Allen