Serve this tangy tart with a simple chopped cos lettuce, cucumber and dill salad dressed with lemon juice and extra-virgin olive oil.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 bunches salad onions, trimmed, bulbs thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ cup coarsely chopped dill, plus extra to serve
- 16 filo pastry sheets
- 100 gm butter, melted
- 500 gm thick plain yoghurt
- 5 eggs
- 50 gm plain flour, sieved (1/3 cup)
- 4 bunches asparagus, trimmed, cut into 10cm lengths
- 1Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion and garlic and sauté until tender (4-5 minutes), stir through lemon rind, season to taste and set aside to cool to room temperature, then stir through dill.
- 2Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180C. Place a filo pastry sheet on a work surface, brush with butter and top with another pastry sheet. Repeat until you have eight layers of pastry, then trim to a 16cm x 40cm rectangle and line an 11cm x 34cm rectangular tart tin, brushed with butter. Repeat with remaining pastry and butter and line another tart tin.
- 3Divide onion mixture among tart cases. Whisk yoghurt, eggs and flour in a bowl to combine, add lemon juice, season to taste and pour over onion mixture. Scatter over asparagus, then bake until golden and set (20-25 minutes). Serve warm or at room temperature, topped with extra dill.
Note This recipe makes two tarts.
Drink Suggestion: Herbaceous, zesty semillon sauvignon blanc blend. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMade in India: the designers and makers of BengaluruYesterday 4:59am