Artichokes seem a chore to prepare, but this is only the case when they’re more mature and fibrous. It takes seconds to peel the outer layers of young ones.
- 4 young globe artichokes
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup (firmly packed) dill sprigs
- 60 gm Manchego, shaved
Sour orange dressing
- of 1 orange, strained, Juice
- 1 tsp sherry vinegar
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1Remove outer leaves until heart is exposed. Peel green layer from stalk, then remove choke with a spoon and discard. Place lemon juice in a bowl and shave artichoke, using a mandolin, into bowl, tossing to coat in lemon juice and prevent discolouration, set aside.
- 2For sour orange dressing, combine ingredients in a bowl and season to taste.
- 3Drain artichokes of excess lemon juice, add dill and toss to combine. Pour over dressing, toss lightly, season to taste and serve immediately scattered with Manchego.
Drink Suggestion: Aromatic white Rueda. Drink suggestion by Max Allen