- 250 gm neonata, defrosted (see note)
- 50 gm cornflour (1/3 cup)
- For frying: olive oil
- To serve: lemon wedges
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 lemon, juice and finely grated rind only
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 200 ml olive oil
- 1For aioli, combine yolk, lemon juice and rind and garlic in a bowl and whisk until combined. Gradually add oil in a steady stream whisking continuously until thick, then season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three weeks. Makes 1 cup.
- 2Place neonata in a bowl, sift over cornflour, season to taste and mix to combine. Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat and cook firmly packed tablespoonfuls of neonata mixture for 3 minutes on each side or until lightly golden and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper, season with sea salt and serve immediately with aioli and lemon wedges to the side.
Note Neonata - newborn in Italian - is baby whitebait. It's usually available frozen from Demcos and other select fishmongers; you may need to order it ahead. Serve this dish with our recipe for Milanos.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Travel NewsNew art collections and shows worth travelling forYesterday 5:58am
- Food NewsGourmet Traveller taste tests McDonald’s Wagyu Beef BurgerYesterday 12:35am