- 60 gm butter
- 50 gm caster sugar
- 50 gm brown sugar
- ½ beaten egg
- 125 gm plain flour
- 60 gm hazelnut meal (see note)
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 100 gm dark chocolate (60% cocoa solids), finely chopped
- Finely grated rind of ½ orange
- 80 gm double cream
- 70 gm Nutella
- 1Beat butter and sugar in an electric mixer until pale and creamy (5 minutes). Add egg and continue to mix until smooth, then add the flour, hazelnut meal and baking powder and stir until just combined. Roll teaspoons of dough into balls and arrange on two oven trays lined with baking paper, leaving about 6cm space between each ball. Refrigerate until chilled and firm (1 hour).
- 2Preheat oven to 1800C. Bake biscuits, a tray at a time, until just golden (10-12 minutes), then cool. Repeat with second tray.
- 3For Nutella filling, place all ingredients in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (don't let bowl touch water), and stir occasionally until smooth (5 minutes). Transfer to refrigerator and stir occasionally until firm (1 hour).
- 4Spread a teaspoon of Nutella filling onto the flat side of half the biscuits, then sandwich with remaining biscuits. Baci will keep in refrigerator in an airtight container for about 5 days. Bring to room temperature to serve.
Making hazelnut meal fresh from roasted hazelnuts yields the best flavour.