You'll need to begin this recipe a day ahead.
- 9 egg yolks
- 250 gm caster sugar
- Scraped seeds of 1 vanilla bean or 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 20 ml Frangelico
- 200 gm dark chocolate (55% cocoa solids), melted, plus extra to serve
- 2 tbsp Dutch-process cocoa, sieved
- 600 ml thickened cream
- 250 gm crème fraîche
- 150 gm roasted hazelnuts, skins removed, coarsely chopped
- To serve: maraschino cherries (optional)
- 1Line a 2 litre-capacity mould with plastic wrap or baking paper.
- 2Whisk yolks, sugar, vanilla seeds and Frangelico in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water until mixture is tripled in volume, thick and pale and holds a ribbon (4-5 minutes).
- 3Transfer semifreddo mixture to an electric mixer and whisk until cool (2-3 minutes). Add chocolate and cocoa and mix to combine.
- 4Meanwhile, whisk cream and crème fraîche in a bowl until soft peaks form.
- 5Fold one-third into egg mixture to loosen mixture, then fold through remaining cream and hazelnuts.
- 6Spoon into container, cover, freeze until firm (6 hours-overnight). Makes about 2 litres.
- 7Serves scoops of Baci semifreddo drizzled with extra melted chocolate and topped with a maraschino cherry, if you like.