"A wonderfully flavoursome dish from the caramelised apples to the organic oats and completely natural honey," says Shannon Debreceny.
- 200 gm (2¼ cups) rolled oats
- 75 gm honey
- 40 gm unsalted butter, melted
- 40 gm brown sugar
- 3 dried dates, thinly sliced
- 8 roasted almonds, coarsely chopped
- 200 gm caster sugar
- 20 ml whisky
- 3 tsp soy sauce, or to taste
- 6 Granny Smith apples, coarsely chopped into bite-sized pieces
- To serve: double cream
- 1Preheat oven to 160C. Combine oats, honey, butter, brown sugar, dates and almonds in a bowl, mix well and bake on an oven tray lined with baking paper until golden (20 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat, scatter sugar over and cook until a light caramel forms (4-5 minutes), add 200ml water (be careful as hot caramel will spit) and stir until dissolved (2-3 minutes), add whisky and soy, stir to combine, add apple, stir to coat well and simmer until apple softens (3-6 minutes). Divide apple mixture among six 300ml ovenproof bowls and keep warm.
- 3Spoon almond topping over apple mixture and serve with double cream.
This recipe is from the August 2012 issue of .
Drink Suggestion: Stanton & Killeen Classic Rutherglen Muscat.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesBeef koftas with green couscous and pistachio nutsYesterday 12:00am