- 16 baby beetroot, scrubbed, plus 100 gm baby leaves, reserved
- 300 ml pouring cream
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 5 thyme sprigs
- 80 gm parmesan, finely grated
- 60 gm coarse sourdough breadcrumbs from day-old bread
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1Cook beetroot in a saucepan of boiling salted water until just tender (15-20 minutes), drain and set aside. When cool enough to handle, peel, halve larger ones and place in a baking dish that holds them snugly.
- 2Blanch beetroot leaves in boiling salted water (30 seconds), refresh, coarsely chop and add to baking dish.
- 3Combine cream, garlic and thyme in a small saucepan over medium heat and cook until reduced and thick (10-12 minutes). Pour over beetroot and leaves, season to taste.
- 4Preheat oven to 180C. Combine parmesan, breadcrumbs and lemon rind, scatter over beetroot and bake until golden (20-25 minutes). Serve hot.
This recipe is from the May 2013 issue of .
Drink Suggestion: Sappy red cabernet franc. Drink suggestion by Max Allen