You'll need to begin this recipe a day ahead.
- 200 gm dried wild figs, soaked in hot water overnight, drained
- 50 gm dried muscatels
- 125 ml (½ cup) orange juice
- 55 ml lemon juice
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 240 gm honey
- 400 gm ricotta
- 3 eggs, separated
- For greasing and dusting: butter and sugar
- To serve: icing sugar, coarsely crumbled amaretti and coarsely chopped roasted almonds
- 1Combine figs, muscatels, juices, cinnamon and half the honey in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Simmer until figs are tender and liquid reduces to a syrup (10-12 minutes), then set aside at room temperature.
- 2Meanwhile, preheat oven to 170C. Process ricotta, egg yolks and remaining honey in a food processor until smooth, then transfer to a bowl. Whisk eggwhites and a pinch of salt until firm peaks form (3-4 minutes), fold into ricotta mixture and divide among 4 buttered and sugared 300ml-capacity ovenproof ramekins or bowls. Bake until puffed and golden (15-20 minutes), dust with icing sugar and serve immediately with fruit compote, crumbled amaretti and roasted almonds.