- 80 ml olive oil (1/3 cup)
- 5 bulbs of baby fennel, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 kg skinless swordfish fillet, cut into six 10cm long 2 cm thick steaks (approx 170gm per steak)
- 2 lemons, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp rosemary
- ½ cup (loosely packed) fresh mint leaves
- 100 gm capers, rinsed (½ cup)
- 250 ml dry white wine (1 cup)
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat, and cook the fennel, stirring, until softened (about 5 minutes).
- 2Place swordfish, fennel, lemon and garlic in a baking dish. Sprinkle oregano, rosemary, mint and capers into the dish and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Drizzle with remaining oil and bake for 10-12 minutes, then add the white wine and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Test for doneness by inserting the tip of a knife into the flesh.
- 3Transfer swordfish, fennel and lemon slices to a serving dish. Spoon over any remaining juices, capers and herbs left in the pan and serve immediately.