- 2 racks pork baby back ribs, divided in half
- 1 tbsp sea salt flakes
- 4 each flat-leaf parsley and thyme sprigs
- 4 garlic cloves
- 260 ml balsamic vinegar
- 240 ml tomato sauce
- 190 ml beer
- 85 gm honey (¼ cup)
- 55 gm (¼ cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
- 40 gm seeded mustard
- ½ Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tsp molasses
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Tabasco
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Place four 60cm lengths of foil shiny-side up on a work surface. Place a rib rack on each, drizzle with a little oil and rub into the ribs. Scatter each with 1 tsp salt and one-quarter of the herbs and garlic, wrap tightly to enclose, place on an oven tray and roast for 30 minutes. Reduce oven to 120C and roast until meat is fork-tender (1-1½ hours). Open foil and stand for 15 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, for barbecue sauce, combine ingredients and 250ml water in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, then bring to the simmer. Reduce heat to low and stir occasionally until thick and well-flavoured (1½-2 hours).
- 3To serve, brush ribs with barbecue sauce, thickly slice and serve warm with remaining sauce. Barbecue sauce will keep refrigerated for a month.
Drink Suggestion: A rich style of grenache or a spicy shiraz. Drink suggestion by Helen Johannesen