Make the sauce ahead and just warm it before assembling this dessert.
- 300 ml thickened cream
- 300 ml crème fraîche
- 4 bananas, thickly sliced diagonally
- 1 litre each banana, chocolate and vanilla-bean ice-creams
- 70 gm dry-roasted unsalted peanuts, coarsely chopped (½ cup)
Salted caramel sauce
- 220 gm caster sugar (1 cup)
- 125 gm butter, diced
- 200 ml thickened cream
- 1 tbsp sea salt flakes
- 1For salted caramel sauce, spread caster sugar over the base of a large saucepan and cook without stirring over medium-high heat until a light caramel forms around the edge (3-5 minutes). Gently tilt and swirl the pan so caramel forms evenly until most of the sugar is melted, and the caramel is deep golden and just begins to smoke (3-5 minutes). Add butter, cream and vanilla (carefully – the hot caramel will spit), and salt to taste. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until caramel dissolves and a thick sauce forms (3-5 minutes). Set aside to cool.
- 2Whisk cream and crème fraîche to soft peaks.
- 3To serve, divide banana slices among small bowls. Top with ice-creams, whipped cream and peanuts, and drizzle with salted caramel.