Marinate the lamb and make the salads the day before, and you're set for fuss-free entertaining. All that's left to do is barbecue the lamb and toss the salad (and perhaps warm some flatbread on the barbie while you're at it). The lamb is excellent at room temperature, too, so it can go on the barbie before guests arrive.
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- 1½ tsp ground coriander seeds
- ½ tsp ground chilli
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 kg butterflied lamb leg
- 3 eggplant
- 80 gm tahini
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped coriander
Carrot and cracked wheat salad
- 300 gm coarse burghul
- 2 carrots, coarsely grated
- 1 Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 100 ml olive oil
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped mint
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1Combine spices, garlic, lemon rind and oil in a small bowl, then rub mixture all over lamb, cover with plastic wrap and marinate for 3 hours or overnight.
- 2For smoky eggplant, char eggplant over an open gas flame or on a barbecue on high heat, turning occasionally, until tender (6-8 minutes). Place in a sieve over the sink to drain briefly, then peel, chop, place in a bowl with remaining ingredients and season well. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- 3For carrot salad, cook burghul in a saucepan of boiling salted water until just tender (4-5 minutes). Drain and combine in a bowl with carrot, onion, garlic, lemon juice and oil and season. Cover and refrigerate for up to a day. Toss through herbs before serving.
- 4Heat a barbecue or large char-grill pan to medium-high heat. Bring lamb to room temperature, then barbecue fat-side down first and turn every 10 minutes, until cooked to your liking (40-45 minutes for medium-rare). Transfer to a tray, cover loosely with foil and rest for 20 minutes, then slice and serve with smoky eggplant, carrot salad, lemon wedges, flatbread and yoghurt.
Drink Suggestion: Carafes of grenache. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesBeef koftas with green couscous and pistachio nutsYesterday 12:00am