Cooking corn in the husk protects the corn itself from direct heat and helps to steam the inside.
- 6 corn cobs, with husks and silks
- 80 gm butter, melted
- To serve: sour cream
- 2 dried chipotle chillies
- 2 tsp sea salt
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon and 1 lime
- 1For chipotle salt, pound chilli and 1 tsp salt in a mortar and pestle until finely ground, stir in rind and remaining salt, set aside.
- 2Peel back husks from cobs but don’t detach, then remove and discard silks. Replace husks, tie ends with kitchen string, place in a large bowl, cover with cold water and soak for 20 minutes. Drain well.
- 3Heat a barbecue or char-grill over medium-high heat. Grill cobs, turning occasionally, until tender (10-12 minutes). Remove from grill, peel back husks, brush corn with butter, then grill, turning occasionally, until slightly charred (6-8 minutes). Scatter with chipotle salt and serve hot with sour cream.
Note Dried chipotle chillies are available from Herbie's Spices.
Drink Suggestion: Full-flavoured pale ale. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsWhere to eat, sleep and visit in Melbourne right nowYesterday 8:00pm