We use a good whack of fish sauce here so choose a fresh bottle of a good variety (the Megachef brand is our favourite). It may seem a lot but give it a try - the sweet flesh of the trout caramelises and the hit of lime makes it super-tasty. Dilute the fish sauce with a little water for a subtler flavour.
- 1 ocean trout (about 1.2 kg), pin-boned
- 300 ml fish sauce
Green mango and shallot salad
- 3 green mango, julienned on a mandolin
- 4 shallots thinly sliced on a mandolin
- 1 cup each (firmly packed) mint, coriander and Thai basil
- 50 ml fish sauce
- 1Heat a barbecue to medium (a coal-fired barbecue is best). Place trout in a container that it fits snugly, add fish sauce and turn to coat. Set aside to marinate (10 minutes).
- 2For green mango and shallot salad, combine ingredients, except liquids and fried garlic and shallots, in a large bowl. Just before serving, add fish sauce and lime juice, toss to combine and top wtih fried garlic and shallots.
- 3Drain fish and brush with oil, then grill flesh-side down until golden (3-4 minutes). Turn and cook to your liking (6-8 minutes for medium rare). Transfer to a platter, top with salad and serve.
Note Fried garlic and fried shallots are available from Asian grocers.
Drink Suggestion: Fragrant pinot gris. Drink suggestion by Max Allen