- 4 spatchcock (about 500gm each), butterflied
- 50 ml olive oil
- 12 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp finely chopped thyme
- Finely grated rind and juice of 2 lemons
Zucchini, fennel and olive salad
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- ½ tsp dried red chilli flakes
- 60 ml extra-virgin olive oil (¼ cup)
- 30 ml aged red wine vinegar
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 3 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 baby fennel bulb, thinly sliced on a mandolin, fronds reserved
- 100 gm Ligurian olives, pitted
- ½ cup coarsely torn flat-leaf parsley
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1Score thighs and breasts of each spatchcock and set aside. Combine oil, anchovy, garlic, thyme, lemon rind and juice in a small bowl, season to taste, rub into spatchcock and stand to marinate (10 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, for zucchini, fennel and olive salad, dry-roast fennel seeds and chilli until fragrant (30 seconds), then coarsely crush in a mortar and pestle. Combine in a large bowl with oil, vinegar and lemon juice, season to taste and set aside. Just before serving, add zucchini, fennel, reserved fronds, olives, parsley and spring onion and toss to combine.
- 3Preheat a barbecue or a char-grill pan over medium-high heat. Char-grill spatchcock, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked through (8-10 minutes). Serve hot with zucchini, fennel and olive salad.