One of these beauties will easily feed two people.
- 6 small onions (about 80gm each), unpeeled
- 3-4 thick-cut beef T-bone steaks (450gm each) (3cm-thick)
- 200 ml mild extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup oregano (loosely packed)
- 6 crushed black peppercorns
- 200 gm Taleggio, coarsely chopped
- To serve: lemon wedges
- 1Heat a grill plate over a woodfired barbecue to low-medium heat, add onions and turn occasionally until tender (1-1½ hours). Keep warm.
- 2Stoke the fire to medium heat, add T-bones, season to taste and cook, turning once, until cooked to your liking (8-10 minutes each side for medium). Set aside in a warm place to rest (5-10 minutes). Season to taste with sea salt flakes just before serving.
- 3Meanwhile, warm oil, herbs and peppercorns gently in a small saucepan on the side of the barbecue.
- 4Remove any burnt skin from onions, then cut a cross in the top of each, dot with Taleggio and season generously. Serve with T-bones drizzled with herb oil, with lemon wedges for squeezing.
This recipe is from the January 2012 issue of .
Drink Suggestion: Big, rich Barossa shiraz. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsThe best places to visit in Queenstown, New ZealandYesterday 2:30am