Tomahawk steak is an impressive cut - it looks almost prehistoric with its large rib bone still attached. One of these guys will serve two or three people, and will go even further if you slice it and stuff it between buttered bread for the ultimate steak sandwich. If you have a flatplate on your barbecue, take the opportunity to cook off some onions while the steak cooks - they'll take this to the next level. Start this recipe a day ahead to make the relish.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp finely chopped thyme
- ½ garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tomahawk steak (about 1kg), at room temperature
- To serve: sliced, buttered sourdough bread and wild rocket
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ Spanish onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2½ tsp smoked paprika
- 750 gm ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 70 ml red wine vinegar
- 1For tomato relish, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, then sauté onion and garlic until tender (4-5 minutes). Stir in paprika until fragrant (30 seconds), then add tomato
and thyme and simmer, stirring occasionally, until tomato begins to break down (6-7 minutes). Add sugar and half the vinegar, season generously and simmer until thick (2-3 minutes), then remove from heat and stir in remaining vinegar. Transfer to a sterilised jar, cool at room temperature, then refrigerate overnight for flavours to develop. Tomato relish will keep refrigerated for up to a month.
- 2Prepare a coal barbecue or preheat a gas barbecue to medium-high heat. Combine oil, thyme and garlic in a bowl, season to taste, brush over steak, then grill steak, turning occasionally, until cooked to your liking (20-25 minutes for medium-rare). Transfer to a plate, cover loosely with foil and set aside to rest for 10 minutes. Thickly slice across the grain and serve with bread, tomato relish and wild rocket.
Drink Suggestion: Full-bodied, oak-aged tempranillo. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Browse All RecipesArtichoke and salted ricotta tart with salsa verdeYesterday 10:00pm