What's better than a versatile cocktail? Traditionally made with just gin and lime, this gimlet recipe shakes things up with a refreshing basil syrup. Save some extra basil leaves to use as a vibrant garnish.
- Ice cubes, to shake and serve
- 45 ml Barossa Distilling Co. Australian Garden Gin
- 15 ml Maidenii Dry Vermouth
- 30 ml lime juice, plus extra wedges to serve
- 20 ml sparkling wine
Basil sugar syrup
- 100 gm caster sugar
- 1/4 cup loosely packed basil leaves, plus extra to serve
- 1For basil sugar syrup, stir sugar and 100ml water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves (3-5 minutes). Remove from heat and cool completely in fridge. Transfer to a blender, add basil with a pinch of salt and blend until basil is incorporated and mixture is green. Strain through a fine sieve into a container with a lid. Basil sugar syrup will keep in the fridge for up to 2 months.
- 2For cocktail, fill a cocktail shaker with ice, add gin, vermouth, lime juice and 30ml basil sugar syrup; shake until chilled. Fill a small glass with ice and strain cocktail into glass; top with sparkling wine. Serve garnished with basil leaves and a wedge of lime.