- 3 tsp lard
- 1 (1kg) bavette steak (flank), at room temperature (see note)
- 3 golden shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp salted capers, rinsed
- 4 smoked anchovies
- 110 gm butter, at room temperature
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp piment d’Espelette
- 1For smoked-anchovy butter, pound anchovies with a mortar and pestle to a smooth paste. Add butter, thyme and Espelette pepper, and stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate until required.
- 2Heat lard in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add steak and cook, basting and turning occasionally, until cooked to your liking (about 8 minutes for rare, 10 for medium rare). Set aside to rest (5 minutes).
- 3Discard excess lard from the frying pan, add shallot and stir until just golden (2-3 minutes). Add smoked-anchovy butter and capers, and stir until foamy. Stir in the lemon juice, spoon over the steak and serve.
Note You may need to order flank steak ahead from your butcher. Piment d'Espelette is French dried, flaked chilli and is available from herbies.com.au.
Drink Suggestion: Châteauneuf-du-Pape. Drink suggestion by Max Allen