This is an extremely easy home-style salad using the freshest bean sprouts you can find. They are blanched briefly before being mixed with finely shredded green onions, sometimes coriander and chilli, and tossed with a dressing of white rice vinegar, soy, sugar and sesame oil.
- 250 gm bean sprouts (see note)
- 1 tbsp white rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander
- 1Trim the roots of the bean sprouts and rinse in cold water. Discard any stray husks. Blanch sprouts in boiling water for 10-15 seconds and drain in a colander. Refresh immediately in cold water, then drain well.
- 2Transfer to a serving bowl and add vinegar, sugar, soy sauce and sesame oil. Toss
lightly before adding the green onions. Season to taste with sea salt, toss again and top with coriander.
Note More often than not, mung bean sprouts are used in this recipe instead of soya bean sprouts. This salad is delicious served with chilled tossed noodles.