Placing the beef briefly in the freezer will make it easier to slice paper-thin. Eat this as soon as the lemon juice is applied as it will start to cook the proteins in the meat.
- 200 gm piece of beef fillet, trimmed of sinew
- 1 globe artichoke
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 1 radish, shaved
- 50 gm shaved parmesan
- 1Roll beef tightly in plastic wrap to form a cylinder, then freeze until just firm (1-2 hours).
- 2Meanwhile, trim top of artichoke by 2cm with a serrated knife, remove outer leaves with your fingers until you reach the pale inner heart (discard leaves). Trim stem to 2cm, peel green exterior with a vegetable peeler until you reach pale inner flesh. Remove inner hairy choke from artichoke heart with a melon-baller. Place lemon juice in a bowl, then very thinly slice artichoke lengthways and add to bowl. Toss to combine, then drain.
- 3Thinly slice beef across the grain and arrange on a platter. Scatter over artichoke and radish, then parmesan. Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil, season to taste and serve with lemon wedges to the side.
Drink Suggestion: Pale, dry rosé. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMade in India: the designers and makers of BengaluruYesterday 4:59am