The croûtons can be made ahead of time and stored on absorbent paper in an airtight container for up to five hours. If you want to make them a day ahead, refresh them in the oven at 180C a few hours before serving.
- ½ baguette, placed in freezer for 4 hours, then thinly sliced on a mandolin
- 300 gm piece of beef sirloin, placed in the freezer for 30 minutes
- ⅓ cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1½ tbsp capers in vinegar, coarsely chopped
- 4 golden shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cornichons, finely chopped
- 10 ml Worcestershire sauce
- ¾ tsp Dijon mustard, or to taste
- Few dashes of Tabasco
- 2 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 1½ tbsp lemon juice, or to taste
- To serve: chervil
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Place baguette slices on an oven tray, brush with a little olive oil, season to taste and bake, turning once, until golden (3-5 minutes each side). Set aside.
- 2Finely dice sirloin, transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until chilled.
- 3Combine remaining ingredients (except lemon juice and chervil), add to beef, toss to combine, then refrigerate until just before serving. Add lemon juice, season to taste, divide among croûtons, top with chervil and serve.
This recipe is from the January 2012 issue of .
Drink Suggestion: Pale, dry pinot noir rosé. Drink suggestion by Max Allen