This salad is a great example of how vegetables that are usually served cooked can taste really great raw - here the beetroot with its lovely earthiness and crunch. Chill the beetroot in the fridge before you shave it for added freshness, and afterwards briefly, too, if you have time.
- 4 eggs
- 1 beetroot, quartered, then thinly shaved on a mandolin
- ½ Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 40 gm smoked almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup (loosely packed) dill sprigs
- 2 avocados, sliced into wedges
Red wine vinaigrette
- 150 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 50 ml red wine vinegar
- 1Cook eggs in a saucepan of boiling water until medium-boiled (8 minutes). Rinse under cold running water, then peel, halve and set aside.
- 2For red wine vinaigrette, whisk ingredients in a bowl to combine, then season to taste.
- 3Combine beetroot, onion, almonds and dill in a bowl, add dressing, season to taste and toss gently to combine. Divide mixture among plates, top with avocado and egg halves, and serve.
Drink Suggestion: Juicy young gamay. Drink suggestion by Max Allen