- 1.2 kg (about 6) beetroot
- 2 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 125 ml cider vinegar (½ cup)
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 120 gm sour cream (½ cup)
- 1 tbsp finely grated fresh horseradish, plus extra for scattering (see note)
- ½ cup (loosely packed) dill sprigs
- 1Place beetroot in a large saucepan, cover with cold, salted water, bring to the boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer until beetroot is tender (about 1 hour). Drain, cool slightly, then peel and thickly slice.
- 2Meanwhile, combine mustard seeds and cumin in a mortar and, using a pestle, coarsely crush, then combine in a small bowl with vinegar and sugar and stir until sugar dissolves. Pour over beetroot, season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and stand for 30 minutes.
- 3In a small bowl, whisk together sour cream and horseradish and season to taste. Arrange beetroot in a serving dish, scatter dill and extra horseradish over and serve with horseradish cream to the side.
If fresh horseradish is unavailable, substitute bottled horseradish.