Blanched and mixed with ricotta, beetroot leaves are great as a stuffing for ravioli. This is our take on the classic Italian dish tortelli di erbette.
- 300 gm “00” flour, plus extra for dusting (2 cups)
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp olive oil
Beetroot leaf filling
- 3 bunches beetroot leaves with stalks
- 200 gm ricotta (1 cup)
- 40 gm finely grated ricotta salata, plus extra to serve (½ cup)
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 80 ml extra-virgin olive oil (1/3 cup)
- 20 gm butter
- 1½ cups (loosely packed) flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- ¼ cup (loosely packed) oregano, finely chopped
- 4 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1For pasta dough, process ingredients in a food processor until crumbs form. Transfer to a work surface and knead until smooth and elastic (3-5 minutes). Wrap with plastic wrap and set aside to rest (30 minutes).
- 2For beetroot leaf filling, blanch two-thirds of beetroot leaves in a saucepan of salted water until tender (1-2 minutes). Drain, then refresh. Drain, squeeze excess moisture from leaves, then finely chop and transfer to a bowl. Add remaining ingredients, stir to combine, then season to taste and set aside.
- 3Divide pasta dough into 4, then, working with one piece at a time, feed through the rollers of a pasta machine on the widest setting, then roll and fold, reducing settings notch by notch until dough is 4mm thick, set aside. Place tablespoonfuls of beetroot leaf filling, at 2cm intervals, along half the pasta sheets. Brush around fillings with eggwash, then place remaining pasta sheets on top and press gently around each filling to seal. Cut squares of ravioli with a pastry-cutter, then transfer to a lightly floured tray and refrigerate until required. Makes about 24.
- 4Cook ravioli in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until al dente (3-5 minutes), then drain (reserve 60ml cooking water).
- 5Meanwhile, for herb sauce, heat extra-virgin olive oil and butter in a frying pan over low heat, add remaining ingredients (except lemon juice), cook until warmed through. Add lemon juice, reserved cooking water and ravioli and keep warm.
- 6Meanwhile, heat a large frying pan over high heat, add remaining beetroot leaves and 1 tbsp water, stir until just wilted (20-30 seconds). Serve beetroot leaf ravioli and herb sauce hot with wilted beetroot leaves scattered with extra ricotta salata.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMade in India: the designers and makers of BengaluruYesterday 4:59am