- 15 baby beetroot (about 3 bunches), trimmed, scrubbed
- 4 beetroot (about 1 bunch), trimmed, scrubbed
- 2 tsp olive oil, for drizzling
- 150 gm small black lentils, rinsed (see note)
- 1 golden shallot, thinly sliced on a mandolin
- 2 tbsp large salted capers, rinsed
- 280 gm thick sheep’s milk yoghurt (1 cup)
- 60 ml lemon juice (¼ cup)
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp dill, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1Preheat oven to 200C. Place baby beetroot and beetroot in a roasting pan with 60ml water, drizzle with oil, season to taste, cover with foil and roast until tender (20-30 minutes for baby beetroot; 40-50 minutes for large beetroot). When cool enough to handle, peel, halve and set aside.
- 2Meanwhile, bring a saucepan of water to the boil, add lentils and cook until tender (20-25 minutes). Drain well and set aside.
- 3For yoghurt dressing, combine ingredients in a bowl and season to taste.
- 4Arrange beetroot, lentils, shallot and capers on a platter, drizzle with yoghurt dressing and serve.
Note Small black lentils are available from select delicatessens. If unavailable, substitute small green lentils.