Pomegranate is the tangy foil to the earthy flavour of beetroot here, while crisp witlof and crunchy hazelnuts take this salad up another notch.
- 700 gm beetroot, trimmed (4 medium)
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 salad onion, bulb only, thinly sliced
- 375 gm witlof, leaves separated (about 3)
- Seeds from ½ pomegranate
- 35 gm roasted hazelnuts, coarsely chopped (¼ cup)
Sweet and sour dressing
- 60 ml extra-virgin olive oil (¼ cup)
- 1 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 1 tbsp cabernet vinegar (or another aged red wine vinegar)
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Place beetroot on separate pieces of foil large enough to wrap them. Drizzle with oil and 1 tsp water, wrap tightly to enclose and roast on a baking tray until tender when pierced with a knife (50 minutes to 1 hour). Set aside to cool (20-30 minutes), then peel, cut
into wedges and transfer to a bowl.
- 2For sweet and sour dressing, whisk ingredients in a bowl. Season to taste, then add to beetroot with half the salad onion and toss to coat.
- 3Layer beetroot, witlof and pomegranate seeds in a salad bowl, scatter with remaining onion and hazelnuts, drizzle with extra dressing and serve.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Travel NewsNew art collections and shows worth travelling forYesterday 5:58am
- Food NewsGourmet Traveller taste tests McDonald’s Wagyu Beef BurgerYesterday 12:35am