At La Casita, they dry the habaneros and orange slices over the fire. The orange cordial makes enough for 10 cocktails.
- Orange wedge, for rubbing
- Ice cubes, to serve
- 60 ml mezcal, such as Nuestra Soledad mezcal
- 3 tsp lime juice
- 4 dashes of orange bitters, to serve
Spicy-orange salt rim
- 1 large dried orange peel slice (see note), coarsely chopped
- ¼ dried habanero chilli (see note), crushed
- 60 gm sea salt flakes
- 160 ml orange juice
- 160 gm caster sugar
- Finely grated zest of ½ orange
- 1 large dried ancho chilli (see note)
- 5 gm ginger (about 1cm), finely grated
- 3 cloves
- 1For spicy-orange salt rim, crush orange and habanero with a mortar and pestle until finely ground. Stir through salt and store in an airtight container. Makes about 75gm.
- 2For Benny's cordial, combine ingredients in a saucepan and stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Cool. Makes 250ml.
- 3To serve, rub orange wedge around the lip of a rocks glass, dip the lip into spicy salt and fill glass with ice. Combine mezcal, lime juice, orange bitters and 22ml cordial in a cocktail shaker filled three-quarters full with ice. Shake well, then strain into glass.