- 120 gm soft butter
- 240 gm golden caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 125 ml buttermilk (½ cup)
- 225 gm plain flour
- 75 gm ground hazelnuts
- 1 tsp each baking powder and bi-carbonate of soda
- 20 gm coarsely chopped hazelnuts
- crème fraîche or mascarpone (optional) , To serve
- 150 gm ricotta
- 1 egg yolk
- 25 gm golden caster sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped seeds only
- 150 gm mixed berries, such as strawberries, raspberries and blackberries
- 30 gm golden caster sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1Preheat oven to 160C. Beat 110gm butter and 220gm sugar using an electric mixer until pale and fluffy, add eggs and beat until smooth and combined, add buttermilk and beat to combine. Add flour, ground hazelnuts, baking powder and bi-carbonate of soda and beat to combine. Spoon half the mixture into the base of a greased and floured 18cm-diameter cake pan and set aside.
- 2For ricotta filling, process ingredients in a food processor until smooth, then spread over cake mix in pan.
- 3For berry filling, combine berries (cut strawberries, if using, into quarters), sugar and lemon juice in a bowl, then spoon over ricotta filling.
- 4Spoon remaining cake mixture over berries and smooth top. Combine remaining butter and sugar in a small bowl with hazelnuts and rub together with fingers, scatter over top of cake and bake for 1 hour or until golden and centre is firm to touch when pressed gently with fingertips. Turn off oven and cool in oven. Serve with crème fraîche or mascarpone if desired.