There are certain guidelines for the bistecca Fiorentina, a meat lover's dream from Tuscany. The Chianina cattle raised in the region was the traditional choice; we've opted for dry-aged Black Angus. The weight usually ranges from 1kg-1.5kg for each steak, which should be roughly three fingers in thickness. Serve it with a simple salad or baby potatoes cooked in foil on the barbecue, or both.
- 2 dry aged T-bone steaks (1kg each), brought to room temperature
- 4 bunches asparagus
Oregano and anchovy sauce
- 1/3 cup (1 bunch) oregano, torn coarsely
- 6 anchovy fillets
- 60 ml (¼ cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1Brush the steaks with oil and grill the narrow fat-fringed edges over medium-high until golden and caramelised (6 minutes), then place flat and cook each side until golden-brown (8 minutes each side for medium-rare). Set aside to rest loosely tented in foil for 10-12 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, brush asparagus with olive oil and grill, turning occasionally, until just charred (4-5 minutes). Season to taste.
- 3For oregano and anchovy sauce, pound oregano and ½ tsp sea salt into coarse paste with a mortar and pestle, then add anchovies and pound to break up. Stir in olive oil and lemon juice and season to taste.
- 4Slice steaks, drizzle with oregano and anchovy sauce and serve with asparagus.
Drink Suggestion: The best Chianti you can afford. Drink suggestion by Max Allen