- 10 strawberries, quartered
- 100 gm Turkish delight, diced
- To serve: baby mint
- 100 gm eggwhite (about 4 eggs)
- 200 gm caster sugar
- 250 gm very ripe strawberries, coarsely chopped
- 200 gm caster sugar
- 4 titanium-strength gelatine leaves, softened in cold water for 5 minutes
- 200 gm raspberries
- 60 gm caster sugar
Mascarpone citrus cream
- 200 gm mascarpone
- Scraped seeds of ½ vanilla bean
- 1 tsp each finely grated orange rind and finely grated lime rind
- 45 gm pure icing sugar
- 1For meringue kisses, preheat oven to 90C. Whisk eggwhite in an electric mixer until soft peaks form (2-3 minutes), gradually add sugar and whisk until firm and glossy (3-4 minutes). Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a 1cm plain nozzle and pipe 1.5cm-diameter kisses onto an oven tray lined with baking paper. Bake until crisp but not coloured (20-25 minutes). Turn off oven, cool completely in oven, then store in an airtight container until required. Meringue kisses will keep for 3 days.
- 2For strawberry jelly, preheat oven to 80C or lowest setting. Spread strawberries in a roasting pan, scatter with 150gm sugar, cover with foil and place in oven until juices seep (25-30 minutes). Transfer to a muslin-lined sieve over a bowl to let juices drain and yield 150ml (15-20 minutes; don’t press on solids or jelly will be cloudy). Meanwhile, stir remaining sugar and 60ml water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves, bring to the simmer and cook for 5 minutes, then set aside. Squeeze gelatine to remove excess water then add to warm sugar syrup, stir to combine, then stir in strawberry syrup. Transfer to a 2-litre container (so jelly is 1cm deep), refrigerate until well set (2-3 hours), then cut into 1cm cubes and refrigerate until required.
- 3For raspberry sauce, combine raspberries and sugar in a small saucepan and stir occasionally over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves. Pass through a fine sieve and refrigerate to cool.
- 4For mascarpone citrus cream, combine mascarpone, vanilla seeds and citrus rinds in a bowl, sieve icing sugar over, whisk until smooth, then transfer to a piping bag (no nozzle) and refrigerate until required.
- 5To serve, spoon a little raspberry sauce into the base of 10 small serving glasses, then layer meringue kisses, mascarpone citrus cream, strawberry jelly, strawberry wedges and Turkish delight on top. Serve scattered with baby mint.
This recipe is from the April 2013 issue of .