Bacon, lettuce, avocado and tomato: it's pretty straightforward - delicious. Use free-range bacon, preferably from a smokehouse if you can find it, and whichever tomatoes are ripest on the day.
- 200 ml olive oil
- 200 gm thinly sliced rindless streaky bacon
- 200 gm Vienna-style white bread, diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 6 cups (loosely packed) mesclun
- 700 gm mixed cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 oxheart tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 avocados, cut into wedges
- 130 ml buttermilk
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp mellow-flavoured extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp finely chopped chives
- 1Preheat oven to 150C. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large non-stick frying pan over high heat and fry bacon in batches, turning occasionally, until crisp (5-7 minutes). Transfer to an oven tray lined with baking paper and keep warm in the oven.
Chop into bite-sized pieces before serving.
- 2Strain bacon fat and wipe frying pan clean, then return strained fat to pan and bring to medium-high heat. Combine bread, garlic and remaining oil in a bowl and toss to coat bread. Season bread to taste and fry it in bacon fat,
turning occasionally, until golden and crisp (2-4 minutes). Drain on paper towels briefly.
- 3Meanwhile, for buttermilk dressing, shake ingredients in a sealed jar to combine and season to taste.
- 4Combine mesclun, tomatoes and avocado in a bowl. Add bacon and fried bread and lightly toss to combine. Transfer to a platter, drizzle with buttermilk dressing and serve.
Drink Suggestion: Light sparkling prosecco. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMade in India: the designers and makers of BengaluruYesterday 4:59am