Named for the 1922 Rudolph Valentino bullfighter movie of the same name and first recorded in The Savoy Cocktail Book of 1930, the Blood and Sand is one of the few true classics based on Scotch. Some drinkers prefer to drop back the cherry brandy, but for Mike Enright, "it's all about equal parts".
- 20 ml Monkey Shoulder Scotch whisky
- 20 ml Dolin sweet vermouth
- 20 ml Heering cherry brandy
- 20 ml orange juice
- 8 ice cubes
- 1 maraschino cherry
- 1Add ingredients (except cherry) to a shaker and shake vigorously for 6 seconds. Taste for balance, strain into a chilled Nick and Nora glass or cocktail glass, garnish with cherry and serve.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsThe best places to visit in Queenstown, New ZealandYesterday 2:30am