- 60 gm butter, plus extra for greasing
- 20 gm finely grated parmesan, plus extra for mould
- 1 golden shallot, finely chopped
- 35 gm plain flour
- 250 ml hot milk (1 cup)
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 4 egg yolks
- 75 gm blue cheese, such as Saint Agur or Bleu d’Auvergne, coarsely crumbled
- 5 eggwhites
Walnut and celery salad
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 20 ml tarragon vinegar (1 tbsp)
- 60 ml walnut oil (¼ cup)
- 2 stalks of celery, finely shaved lengthways and placed in iced water
- 1 celery heart, finely shaved
- 70 gm walnut halves, toasted
- 1Butter a deep-sided 1 litre-capacity ovenproof ceramic dish and dust with finely grated parmesan, shaking to remove excess. Make a collar out of a double layer of buttered baking paper and tie around top of mould, buttered side inward, standing about 5cm high.
- 2Preheat oven to 180C. Melt butter in a heavy-based saucepan, add shallot and cook for 2-3 minutes or until soft, add flour and stir continuously for 1-2 minutes. Gradually add milk, mixing until smooth, then bring to the boil, stirring continuously and cook for 2-3 minutes or until thick. Remove from heat, add parmesan, mustard and egg yolks and mix to combine. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground white pepper, set aside for 5 minutes, then stir in blue cheese, taking care not to break up chunks.
- 3Whisk eggwhites and a pinch of salt until soft peaks form. Fold one third of the eggwhites into cheese mixture to lighten, then fold through remaining eggwhites. Pour into prepared dish and bake for 30-35 minutes or until puffed and golden.
- 4Meanwhile, for walnut and celery salad, rub cut side of a garlic clove around bowl, add mustard, vinegar and walnut oil, season to taste and whisk to combine. Drain celery, add to bowl with celery heart and walnut halves and toss to coat. Remove collar from soufflé and serve immediately with salad.
Drink Suggestion: Sparkling shiraz. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Travel NewsNew art collections and shows worth travelling forYesterday 5:58am
- Food NewsGourmet Traveller taste tests McDonald’s Wagyu Beef BurgerYesterday 12:35am