- 8 blue swimmer crabs (about 300 gm each)
- To serve: crusty bread and wild rocket and parmesan salad
- 700 gm mixed small tomatoes, such as Johnny Love Bites, yellow grape and mini Roma
- 60 ml extra-virgin olive oil (¼ cup)
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 white onion, thinly sliced
- ½ fennel, bulb thinly sliced, fronds reserved
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into long matchsticks
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes
- ¼ tsp each fennel and yellow mustard seeds
- Pinch saffron threads
- 250 ml dry white wine (1 cup)
- 1 tsp marjoram leaves
- 1To prepare crabs, remove triangular flap underneath crab, lift top shell away from body and discard, and remove gills and yellow ‘mustard’ from crabs and discard. Cook crabs in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for 10 minutes or until bright orange in colour and just cooked through. Drain and set aside.
- 2Meanwhile for salsa pazza, score tomatoes and blanch in boiling water for 10-20 seconds or until skin separates from flesh. Remove and, when cool enough to handle, peel and discard skin. Heat oil in a wide heavy-based saucepan and fry garlic, onion, fennel and carrot over medium heat for 5 minutes or until soft. Add spices, fry for 1 minute or until fragrant, add wine, tomatoes and marjoram and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook for another 2-4 minutes or until sauce has reduced by one-third. Add crabs, stir to coat and cook, covered, for 2 minutes or until heated through.
- 3To serve, divide crabs among bowls, spoon salsa over, scatter with fennel fronds and serve with crusty bread and wild rocket and parmesan salad to the side.
Drink Suggestion: Unwooded chardonnay. Drink suggestion by Max Allen